Why Is It So Hard To Do the Right Things For Ourselves?

Why is it so hard to do the things we know we need to do to achieve our goals and we know are good for us? I think inherently we all know what we need to eat to be healthy. We know soda, sugary snacks, fast food, and pizza are detrimental to our health. Everybody knows that. It’s not a secret. We all know we should do some kind of exercise or movement during the day to be healthy. It’s no secret sitting on our butts all day every day is not conducive to being healthy. We all know it. It’s not a secret.
Every single person reading this knows these things, so why is it so hard to do them? Where is the disconnect between knowing and doing? It’s one thing to know something, it’s an entirely different thing to DO IT.
It’s not just about food or exercise, although these are easy examples, ones we can all relate to, and I feel illustrate my point quite well. It’s the same with any kind of practice, whether that be what you put in your mouth, what you do with your body, or what is in your head.
Here are a few more examples. We all know it is useless to compare ourselves with others. It’s a totally negative practice that has nothing good coming from it, yet we all do it. We all think about how great somebody else’s life is because they have more money than us, nicer clothes, a bigger house, a fancier car, and on and on and on. What good does that kind of thinking do us? None whatsoever, yet we do it every day.
How about this little line, “I’ll be happy when…..(fill in the blank)”
That one line is a curse to you and your happiness. Nothing good comes from that line of thinking, yet we all do it every day.
Clearly G.I. Joe was full of it when he said that knowing is half the battle. Seems to me knowing is about 2% of the battle. The actual doing, the other 98% is the real battle. Agree?
I wish this was the part where I gave you the solution to this problem that I could say here are the 5 TIPS YOU NEED TO TURN YOUR LIFE AROUND!! Then follow with a nicely bulleted list of tips, tricks, and hacks that would solve this problem for you and we could all live happily ever after. This is not one of those articles unfortunately.
These are all things I struggle with myself every single day in some way shape or form. I have read the books, listened to the audios, watched the videos, practiced, practiced, practiced, and I still struggle. Sometimes I wonder if I am any better than I was a year or more ago. I know I am though. Don’t lose hope! This stuff is hard, but not impossible! It just takes honest and consistent effort every day.
It requires you to get out of your comfort zone, to push yourself into areas you don’t want to go. You have to work at it every day. You have to practice.
So what I would encourage you to do is pick one thing to work on. Pick one area you want to improve upon. It could be your eating habits, your exercise routine, or controlling your harmful mental chatter.
Pick that one thing and do something every day that makes you a little uncomfortable. Instead of reaching for the afternoon cupcake, have a glass of water or go for a walk. Instead of skipping your planned workout, move your body for 5 minutes, get your heart rate up a little. Catch yourself in the act of negative self-talk and remind yourself how great you are, how perfect your life is, find something good in your life to be grateful for.
These are the things that are hard to do, but MUST be done. Are they easy? NO. Are you going to slip up? YES. Forgive yourself and move on. Try again.
“It’s not how many times you get knocked down that count, it’s how many times you get back up.”
George A. Custer
U.S. Military
Keep the faith my friends, we are all in this together!
Let me know your thoughts on this. What has worked for you in the past? What are you still struggling with?